Thursday, September 6, 2012

NOAA practical jokers

A beautiful pre-Rough Water Swim today.  The NOAA website really threw me off, reporting ocean temps at 60.7 deg at 9 a.m.  WTF??!!  How am I going to do a 3 mile race on Sunday if the water temp is hovering at 60?  First panic ("I'm doomed!").  Then quiet resolve ("I've paid my $").  Then backup plans ("Bring hypothermia provisions to the race")....waitaminit, what's that snickering?....

Twas the nerds at NOAA having a good laugh at my expense.  The water temp was nowhere near 60.  Puleeeze.  I can't believe I fell for it!

Ruthy was the first person I saw out there.  RUTH!  She's done with her New Yawk job and ready to pack it up and head to warmer waters.  She was looking very laid back and relaxed too.  It doesn't take long for that Cal attitude to work its way into your mojo, does it?  She was done with her first swim of the day.  Little did I know she had multiple swims on her dance card today.  Good girl.

The water was smooth at 11 a.m.  Just a bit nippy inside the cove, but nothing unusual.  Everywhere else it was 68-71, I'd say.  Viz was so-so.  I did a training swim round trip to the shores, then round trip to the half, for a total of 3 miles.  I was impressed with myself; that last half mile was ugly.

Ran into Laura, Cami and Lyndee back on the beach.  I left Steve D a love note on his backpack.  We're doing the Gatorman this Sunday.  Because Heartland Parents ROCK!

2 comments:

  1. Toni you were a sight for sore eyes. Well not really sore. What I meant was jeez-Toni-great-to-see-you! Gatorgal now you are hardcore.
    Hope the race was fun. Went out for post race farewell swim and then to airport. Redeye and here I am at Newark airport for no apparent reason. Wanna take Fubby in my arms and twitch my nose and be home for good. Next time. Well done, Toni!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Toni...love reading about your exploits, Cove-style! you Rock!

    ReplyDelete