Sunday, June 19, 2011

alone, out there... so quiet

Solo. that's me, all on my own.... I was so preoccupied with organizing my flock that I forgot to make any solid swim arrangements, so there I was.... kids were occupied with Wendy on the beach and Im looking out into the abyss. alone. I attached myself to a family of 4, two college sons and a regular swimmer dad and a terrified mom who had never ocean swam before, "oh, you'll do fine, there is SO much to see and it looks really clear today!", she almost turned back before getting her toes wet, I think she'd have preferred to swim with the cap over her eyes completely.. she'd been hornschwaggled into it, the fathers day gig and she was not happy about it. Rallied at the .25 and they headed back in, I found a tri-guy aiming out to the .5 but he never once looked up at me and was gone before I began... so I did it. I swam almost all the way to the .5 and back, alone. Nothing got me, my mind got me a few times... not sure why but I can swim with a group and not blink once, not even think creepy things. It was calm and flat and no current and I saw tons of those yellow tailed fish (Cary) clear to the bottom in some spots, perfect temperature, not even a bit chilled. I meandered on in... feeling like quite the brave little mermaid I must say, y'all regular solo swimmers, my cap is off to you, you are tough as nails.

2 comments:

  1. good job girl!!! once you get used to it, it's like meditating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. After the Pier to Cove and swimming over the snarky sharky canyon without a second thought, i went down to swim sunday and had to go solo. Well, i stood in the water thinking "this is cold and it sucks". then i went in and after telling the guards i was swimming alone out to the half and around the buoys I wimped out at the quarter and came home through the kelp. My hat is off to you!

    ReplyDelete